• Self Care in France


The social security system provides several benefits to international students while they are studying in France.

All students who are underneath 28 years of age as on October 1 and enrolled in a diagnosed educational group for a programme of at the least three months duration need to subscribe to the social safety machine acknowledged as “caisses primaires d’guarantee maladie” (or CPAMs).

All other students (the ones staying for much less than three months, and college students enrolled in institutions which can be not part of the French social safety system) ought to purchase an individual medical insurance coverage from a private coverage company. In France, the annual price of such regulations runs from €a hundred and fifty to €550.

On an average, social safety covers about 70% of the costs associated with an illness. Students may acquire supplemental health insurance coverage.

La Mutuelle des Étudiants:

  1. www.lmde.fr, active throughout France
  2. Emevia - an association of regional student health plans
  3. Smerep, www.smerep.fr        


International students may open a Nonresident financial institution account (in Euros oranother currency) or, if they live for more than 3 months a Resident account(in Euros or some other currency). If you stay in France for greater than 3 months, you have to open an account in a financial institution. The following documents could be required to open an account:

  1. Passport
  2. Visa de lengthy séjour ('long-live visa') serving as a titre de séjour ('house permit') (VLS/TS);
  3. Proof of address (gas, electricity or landline invoice or maybe a rent receipt).
  4. The financial institution will even ask you for a replica of your signature to allow them to confirm the authenticity of any cheques to be processed.

Check in case your bank at domestic has ties with a French banking network, as this will make it easier that allows you to open an account (perhaps even before you arrive in France) and transfer funds. Your financial institution will offer you with copies of your account information (relevés d’identité bancaire, RIBs) which can be useful when it comes to having your income transferred on your account or switching any standing direct debits you may have authorised (lease, phone bill, etc.). You can then start the usage of your cutting-edge account and request a financial institution card and a cheque book. The foremost bank cards (Visa and MasterCard) are typical by most French organizations for transactions in extra of €15. Cash transactions have to be made in Euros.